"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
(Oscar Wilde)
I saw the cutest kid action today. This little boy, probably not even two years old judging by size, was tottering along; a woman (most likely his mother) was watching and following him. The bus turns onto the street and the kid gets all exciting and hurries (at little kid speed) toward the bus stop. Bus comes to a halt at bus stop, man gets off, and kid throws himself at man yelling, "DADDY!! DADDY!!" Aww. Having grown up as the oldest I know it's not easy, but seeing moments like this make me think that maybe someday I will want kids, even if they turn into teenagers who don't want to be seen anywhere near you.
I can't speak for anyone else of course, but for the most part, I did not like being a teenager. Suddenly, I went from a child who was sure of herself to someone I wasn't sure of and hid behind other people. I can't count the number of times I didn't say what I truly felt because I was afraid what other people would think of me. I'm not saying I babble everything now (except when e-mailing about fiction!) because there is a need for tact, and certainly in the workplace we need to remain professional. But when I'm with family and friends, I don't need a mask anymore. I miss my friends, but I don't miss adolescence. All else equals, I much prefer adulthood.
Added a link to Sarah please welcome her!
Thanks to all who answered my last silly question. Bonnie isn't it weird how sometimes what used to matter lots doesn't as much after a life change? I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you re: panic attacks but you are in my thoughts. I hope your daughter feels better soon too; it's always hard on the whole family when someone is sick. Claire are you going to force your future husband to wear an engagement ring if you do? ;) Thanks for answering the hypothetical question. I know some people find them silly, but I like hypothetical situations. Where else would we get fanfic ideas? Btw, I don't talk in the bathroom either but it amazes me what I hear other people discussing! It's not like I can leave and give them any privacy!
ROTFL on your sister and BIL's conversation Sue. She has a point! I am from a big family too so I understand what you mean about being reminded of something because of them! Some of my friends are amazed I can remember their birthdays; the trick is, they all share birthdays with family members, and well, you don't generally forget the day Mom / Aunt / Cousin gets whisked off to the hospital to deliver a baby! And your story sounds positively intriguing! A murder? And a mystery guest? Is this the bobwhites as adults (after Open Up and Say Surprise) or earlier? I am anxious to read it! I do hope you get a chance to write more soon!
I did a bit of investigating at Live Journal as Heather had mentioned it and I got curious. I like the fact that it lets you enter a current mood and current music in the entry. I wonder if I could automate that myself. Hmm. Must play around with template.
Question of the day: Did you do your taxes yet? I'm happy to report I mailed mine this morning. Phew!
(Oscar Wilde)
I saw the cutest kid action today. This little boy, probably not even two years old judging by size, was tottering along; a woman (most likely his mother) was watching and following him. The bus turns onto the street and the kid gets all exciting and hurries (at little kid speed) toward the bus stop. Bus comes to a halt at bus stop, man gets off, and kid throws himself at man yelling, "DADDY!! DADDY!!" Aww. Having grown up as the oldest I know it's not easy, but seeing moments like this make me think that maybe someday I will want kids, even if they turn into teenagers who don't want to be seen anywhere near you.
I can't speak for anyone else of course, but for the most part, I did not like being a teenager. Suddenly, I went from a child who was sure of herself to someone I wasn't sure of and hid behind other people. I can't count the number of times I didn't say what I truly felt because I was afraid what other people would think of me. I'm not saying I babble everything now (except when e-mailing about fiction!) because there is a need for tact, and certainly in the workplace we need to remain professional. But when I'm with family and friends, I don't need a mask anymore. I miss my friends, but I don't miss adolescence. All else equals, I much prefer adulthood.
Added a link to Sarah please welcome her!
Thanks to all who answered my last silly question. Bonnie isn't it weird how sometimes what used to matter lots doesn't as much after a life change? I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you re: panic attacks but you are in my thoughts. I hope your daughter feels better soon too; it's always hard on the whole family when someone is sick. Claire are you going to force your future husband to wear an engagement ring if you do? ;) Thanks for answering the hypothetical question. I know some people find them silly, but I like hypothetical situations. Where else would we get fanfic ideas? Btw, I don't talk in the bathroom either but it amazes me what I hear other people discussing! It's not like I can leave and give them any privacy!
ROTFL on your sister and BIL's conversation Sue. She has a point! I am from a big family too so I understand what you mean about being reminded of something because of them! Some of my friends are amazed I can remember their birthdays; the trick is, they all share birthdays with family members, and well, you don't generally forget the day Mom / Aunt / Cousin gets whisked off to the hospital to deliver a baby! And your story sounds positively intriguing! A murder? And a mystery guest? Is this the bobwhites as adults (after Open Up and Say Surprise) or earlier? I am anxious to read it! I do hope you get a chance to write more soon!
I did a bit of investigating at Live Journal as Heather had mentioned it and I got curious. I like the fact that it lets you enter a current mood and current music in the entry. I wonder if I could automate that myself. Hmm. Must play around with template.
Question of the day: Did you do your taxes yet? I'm happy to report I mailed mine this morning. Phew!

<< Home