Tuesday, March 27, 2001

"I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going!"

My friends come from all walks of life: different upbringings, different ethnic backgrounds, different religions, different heights, different lifestyles, but if there's one quality most of them have in common, it's the ability to be cheerfully crazy. These are people who think nothing of carrying a working VCR from a home with a busted television to another home with a busted VCR and working television, so we can watch a movie. These are people who'd rather walk six miles for Sunday brunch instead of attempting to cook. And as the past weekend proves, these are people who try to install a garage door opener, only to realize the right screws are lacking, which prompts a run to the hardware store, minutes before they close at midnight.

When I realize that by my age, my maternal forebearers were married with children, I feel sorry for them. I shouldn't; who am I to make assumptions? Perhaps it was what each of them wanted, and it was not forced upon them by society. All I know is I don't want to grow up and I don't want to settle down. I like being cheerfully crazy. I like being able to decide as late as Friday afternoon what I'm doing over the weekend. I like coming home at 2am or 3am on Saturday night / Sunday morning, without having to worry about someone else not being home yet. I like not having to plan around six gazillion kids' birthday parties and doctor's appointments and dental checkups and playdates. Sometimes people tell me this is just a phase and it will pass. But I'm not sure I want it to ever end. I'm happy this way and that's not something I've been able to say about my life often in *cough*cough* years.

I think it's neat you've known your husband since you were thirteen Bonnie - how did you two meet? I always like hearing stories like that because it makes me feel my Trixie stories might actually be possible! As for freaking when your daughter dates, perhaps your husband will hand potential boyfriends an Application for Permission to Date my Daughter.

My suggestion, Cathy is for you to print out Free hints on housecleaning and leave them on your husband's pillow, since he was so kind to bookmark it for reference to the home you both share.

Warm welcome to Janette! Glad to see you have joined the world of blogging! Told you in chat that it's not difficult!

I played viola too Jenni! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm lucky that I didn't ever have an orchestra teacher like that, but my best friend's high school band director sounds a lot like Miss Smith and it makes me sad to think that so many of those young kids quit because the teacher was tearing apart their self esteem to further her own goals. When will people learn that life is not a competition?

Welcome back, Kyrie! I knew there was a reason I kept your link scrawled here! And I can completely understand getting caught up in an emotional scene. I did that myself in the Circle Writing Project 1 I'm attempting. It wasn't the pogo stick that did it. It was the use of Gleeps three times.