Thursday, March 22, 2001

"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people."


My officemate read the above to me off of his friend's e-mail signature and being the research geeks we are, we got into this huge discussion of researchers who test theories with empirical evidence versus researchers who study events. He seems to agree with the sentiments in the quote, but if you ask me, the jury's still out. Sure it'd be great to come up with a theory that explains everything, but life isn't perfect; can't we learn something from studying events like stock market crashes?

I forgot to mention that I downloaded one of those calendars from JavaScript Source and am still trying to figure it out exactly. By the way did you know Wednesday, July 21, 1948 was a full moon? Must be the one under which Trixie, Honey and Jim were taking that moonlight ride in The Secret of the Mansion. Unfortunately for my universe, the full moon was Monday, July 17, 1989 so there's some...err...inconsistencies. Can we just gloss over it? Please?

Sending extra positive vibes to Sue who sounds like she needs it. I don't have any advice but I am keeping you in my thoughts and hoping the cloud will have a silver lining.

I want to hear more about your childhood escapades Misty because lenient guardians are a foreign concept to me.

How do you determine when your child is old enough to date? Some of my friends were dating in the fifth grade. Now granted, this wasn't at all serious, it was going to the movies with someone's parents / older sibling(s) sitting a few rows behind you, sitting together to talk during recess and other such innocence, but to our ten year old minds, it was dating, and well, I wasn't that mature, but my friends sure seemed ready for that step. But as an adult, upper elementary school seems so young for dating. Thoughts?