Tuesday, February 27, 2001

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
(Carl Zwanzig)


People are like duct tape. That didn't sound right. Let me try to explain. What I mean is people have a light side, a dark side and a purpose, whether its to hold the universe together, be an annoying baby or whatever. It's like Bobby Belden is cute but he is also mischievious and cuts dolls heads off. His purpose is to do the "I'm the baby! Gotta love me!" routine in the books which alternate between being endearing and making some of us want to smack him across the room. But I digress.

Remember that scene in Emeralds when Trixie wants to ditch lunch and explore and then Mart gets all riled up asking her why she thinks she should get that priviledge? Then Brian, being the eldest sibling, calmly explains there is only so much room in the tunnel, etc. and appoints Trixie and Jim to explore. Brian's role in the books is to be the older, rational brother, who keeps his siblings out of trouble. This is a role with which I am intimately familiar, being the eldest myself. So I guess in my family, that's my role. It's sort of spilled over to my friends too.

What's your role among loved ones?